South Dakota Turkey Hunt
Fully guided, license #36583
We’re excited to now offer a limited number of 3-day Spring Turkey Hunts in the Black Hills region of South Dakota! This hunt includes guide services, home-cooked meals, game handling, comfortable accommodations and Plenty of Action! After chasing turkeys by day, we’ll return to the lodge where you can unwind, share stories, take in the sunset and enjoy a home cooked meal before catching a good night’s rest.
Species and Limits:
Although South Dakota is host to the Eastern and Merriam’s subspecies, it’s the highly sought-after Merriam’s that “Rule the Roost” in our area. On this hunt, each hunter may harvest up to two male turkeys.
Location & Transportation:
This hunt will take place on our “Turkey-Rich” private land leases near Newell, SD. Guests typically fly into Rapid City, SD the day before the hunt, rent a vehicle and arrive in camp by 3pm (about a one-hour drive). From camp, we’ll provide transportation to and from the field for the duration of your stay.
Typically 100% shooting opportunity on mature gobblers.
Hunt Style & Terrain:
This is typically a spot-and-stalk style shotgun hunt, but may be conducted with archery equipment from a ground blind. Predominantly made up of prairie, rolling hills and creek bottoms, our properties are easily navigable and “For The Birds” (in a good way). That said, this hunt can still be a physically challenging experience should you be required to “get after” a bird that just doesn’t want to cooperate. To that end, it’s in your best interest to be in as good of physical condition as possible in order to increase your chance for success and ensure an enjoyable hunt.
$1,950 per person (three-day hunt, up to two hunters per guide, one turkey per hunter). Option to add a second turkey for $500 if additional tag is acquired.
Price includes meals, lodging, guide services, field preparation of game and transportation to/from designated hunting areas.
Price does not include transportation to camp, applicable hunting licenses/tags, game processing, taxidermy fees, alcoholic beverages, gratuities and hotel or meal costs before or after scheduled hunt dates.
Note: A wounded bird shall be considered harvested and any continuation of the hunt shall be at the discretion of the outfitter.
Our team works hard to ensure your experience is as good as it can be from start to finish. Therefore, when the smoke clears (and provided it’s warranted), a tip for your cook and guide will be greatly appreciated. Of course, the amount is at your discretion, but a good rule of thumb is 10% of hunt cost for your guide and 5% of hunt cost for your cook.
Spring Turkey Season Dates:
- • Single season prairie hunts: April 9 – May 31, 2022
- • Archery: April 2 – May 31, 2022
Available Hunt Dates:
- • May 2 – 4, 2022 (arrive on 1st and depart on 5th)
- • May 7 – 9, 2022 (arrive on 6th and depart on 10th)
- • May 12 – 14, 2022 (arrive on 11th and depart on 15th)
- • May 17 – 19, 2022 (arrive on 16th and depart on 20th)
Day one – Arrive in camp by 3pm. Unpack and settle in, enjoy a hearty dinner, socialize and prepare for the following day’s hunt. .
Days two through four – Depart after a full breakfast in the morning. Enjoy your turkey hunt. Break for lunch in the afternoon. More chasing turkeys after lunch and back to the lodge in the evening for dinner and overnight.
Day five – Breakfast and departure.
Meals & Accommodations:
This hunt is conducted from a comfortable lodge with all the amenities of home. Home cooked meals will be served each evening with lunches in the field and breakfast before departing on each day’s hunt. All you’ll need to bring is your personal hunting gear and toiletries. A recommended gear list will be provided once you’ve booked your hunt.
Typical Weather Conditions:
Springtime in South Dakota is generally cooler with a mix of sunny days and chance of light showers. April and May enjoying an average high of 56˚/66˚ and a low of 31˚/42˚. Overnight temperatures are still chilly, with the lows averaging 20˚. Preparing for various weather conditions is a must, so we will provide a recommended gear list once you have booked your hunt.
We will be happy to assist you in acquiring a license/tag. Non-resident turkey license/tags are available on a draw basis for approximately $125 (see application deadlines and details below).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Hunters Safety Card is required for all hunters under 16 years of age.
- • First Deadline – Applications must be postmarked by Friday, Feb. 12. Apply online by 8 a.m. CST Wednesday, Feb. 17. Results available online by Friday, Feb. 19. One application may be submitted per applicant.
- • Second Deadline – Applications must be postmarked by Friday, Feb 26. Apply online by 8 a.m. CST Wednesday, Mar. 3. Results available online by Friday, Mar. 5. Those who do not already have a license may submit one application.
- • Third Deadline – After the second deadline drawing, licenses remaining are pooled and available to both residents and nonresidents. Applications must be postmarked by Friday, Mar. 12. Apply online by 8 a.m. CDT Wednesday, Mar. 17. Results available online by Friday, Mar. 19. Residents and nonresidents may apply for additional licenses (five maximum for this season, including any license received in the first or second draw).
- • Leftover Licenses – An individual may have an unlimited number of licenses for this season in any unit or any combination of units. They will be issued first-come, first-served either online or by mailing in an application. This process will begin on Friday, Mar. 19.
Should you successfully harvest a bird, your guide will be responsible for field care and transportation of your prize back to camp. Taxidermy and processing fees are the client’s responsibility.
All you’ll need to bring is your firearm or bow, ammo or arrows, personal gear and toiletries. For those that would prefer to travel light, we offer gun rental and ammo for purchase on site. We will provide a recommended gear list once you have booked your hunt.
Fishing may be available in nearby rivers, lakes and ponds.
A 50% non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your space. Final payments are due 60 days prior to hunt start date.
Information contained in this trip description is subject to change without notice. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
February 10, 2021. All rights reserved.