Elk & Deer Combo Hunt
Fully Guided – Rifle or Archery
License # 36583
Species and Limits: 1 Bull or Cow Elk (5 point restriction for bull elk on private land) AND, on an incidental basis, 1 Either Sex Whitetail Deer OR 1 Antlered Mule Deer.
Location: This hunt will take place near Checkerboard, MT on about 90k acres of private and state land. The state land includes about 70k acres of the Helena-Lewis & Clark National Forest (AKA the bedroom) while the private ground consists of up to 20k acres of leased land along or near the Musselshell River (AKA the kitchen).
Hunt Type: Spot and stalk style hunt (horses only used as necessary for retrieving game).
Success Ratio: Typically 70% or better shooting opportunity on 240” to 320” bull elk. Mature whitetails and mule deer range throughout the area and are available on an incidental basis.
- $6,500 per person (5 day archery or rifle hunt with 2 hunters per 1 guide)
- Prices include: meals, lodging, guide, packing out and skinning of game
- Prices do not include: transportation to pick up/drop off point in Checkerboard, MT, hunting license/tags, game processing, taxidermy fees, gratuities, meals and hotel charges before pack in or after pack out date.
- Note: A wounded animal shall be considered harvested and any continuation of the hunt will be at the discretion of the outfitter.
Archery Elk/Deer: (Season Dates: Sept 5 – Oct 18, 2020)
- Sept 5 – 9, 2020 (arrive on 4th and depart on 10th)
- Sept 12 – 16, 2020 (arrive on 11th and depart on 17th)
- Sept 19 – 23, 2020 (arrive on 18th and depart on 24th)
- Sept 26 – 30, 2020 (arrive on Sep 25th and depart on Oct 1st)
- Oct 3 – 7, 2020 (arrive on 2nd and depart on 8th)
- Oct 10 – 14, 2020 (arrive on 9th and depart on 15th)
Rifle Elk/Deer: (Season Dates: Oct 24 – Nov 29, 2020)
- Oct 24 – 28, 2020 (arrive on 23th and depart on 29th)
- Oct 31 – Nov 4, 2020 (arrive on Oct 30th and depart on Nov 5th)
- Nov 7 – 11, 2020 (arrive on 6th and depart on 12th)
- Nov 14 – 18, 2020 (arrive on 13th and depart on 19th)
- Nov 21 – 25, 2020 (arrive on 20th and depart on 26th)
- Day 1 – Arrive in camp by 3pm. Sight in weapon, relax and prepare for the following day’s hunt.
- Day 2 thru 6 – Depart in the morning for a fully guided Elk hunt. Break for lunch in the afternoon. Back to camp in the evening for dinner and overnight.
- Day 7 – Breakfast and depart for home.
Meals & Accommodations: This hunt is conducted out of a very comfortable and fully outfitted wall tent style camp that includes separate tents for dining versus sleeping as well as shower and toilet facilities. Home cooked meals will be served each evening with lunches in the field and breakfast before departing on each day’s hunt. All you’ll need to bring is a sleeping bag and your personal gear (recommended packing list will be provided)
Transportation: Fly into Bozeman, MT, Helena, MT or Great Falls, MT. Rent a vehicle and plan to arrive at designated location in White Sulfur Springs, MT at 2pm. There, you’ll be met by our representative and escorted directly to base camp (about 40 minutes from meeting location).
Terrain: The areas we’ll hunt are easily accessible and not terribly difficult to navigate (in terms of typical elk country) but may range from 5k feet in elevation near the river bottom to about 7k feet in the timbered draws, foothills and mountain parks. That said, any elk hunt can be a physically challenging experience in which you may be required to put on a lot of miles in steep or rocky terrain. Therefore, it’s in your best interest to be in as good of physical condition as possible in order to increase your chance for success as well as ensure an enjoyable hunt.
Typical Weather Conditions: Temperatures can fluctuate drastically and range from teens to 80 degrees with the possibility of rain or snow. Being prepared for various weather conditions is a must. We will provide you with a recommended gear list once you’ve booked your hunt.
Licensing Details: Non-Resident General Elk/Deer Combo License/Tags are available on a draw basis for $1083.50 (plus $10 archery permit). Application deadline is April 1st. An elk only license costs $921.50 and is also available upon a draw. Deer only combination is $649 and also based on a draw. (Muley and Whitetail) After drawing has taken place, leftover license/tags will be on a first come first serve basis until sold out. We will be happy to assist you in acquiring a license/tag. IMPORTANT NOTE: Hunters Safety Card is required for all hunters born on or after Jan 1, 1985.
Processing: Should you successfully harvest an animal, your guide will be responsible for field dressing, skinning, and transporting your prize out of the backcountry and back to camp. Taxidermy and processing fees are the client’s responsibility.
Optional Activities: Fishing may be available in nearby rivers, lakes and ponds
Deposits: A 50% non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your space. Final payments are due 60 days prior to hunt start date.
Caveat: Information contained in this trip description is subject to change without notice. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Updated: December 30, 2019. All Rights Reserved