We’re excited to now offer a limited number of 3-day spring turkey hunts in the Black Hills region of South Dakota! This hunt includes guide services, home-cooked meals, game handling, comfortable accommodations and PLENTY OF ACTION! After chasing turkeys by day, we’ll return to the lodge where you can unwind, share stories, take in the sunset and enjoy a home cooked meal before catching a good night’s rest.
Species and Limits
One bird is included in the hunt cost, with an option to add a 2nd bird for $500 if tags are available.
This hunt will take place on our “Turkey-Rich” Private Land Leases near Newell, SD.
Spring Turkey Hunt Dates
$1,950 per person for a 3-day hunt for 1 bird with up to 2 hunters per guide. Option for 2nd bird is available for additional charge. Price includes meals, lodging, guide, field preparation of game and transportation to/from designated hunting areas. Price does not include airfare, transportation to/from designated meeting location, hunting license/tags, game processing, taxidermy fees, alcoholic beverages, gratuities, or meal and hotel charges incurred before pack-in or after pack-out dates. A 50% non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your space. Final payments are due 60 days prior to hunt start date.
Non-Resident Turkey License/Tags are available on a draw basis for approximately $125. We will be happy to assist you in acquiring a license/tag.
SD License #36583
SPECIES AND LIMITS:
Although South Dakota is host to the Eastern and Merriam’s subspecies, it’s the highly sought-after MERRIAM’S THAT “RULE THE ROOST” in our area. One bird is included in the hunt cost, with an option to add a 2nd bird for $500 if tags are available.
LOCATION & TRANSPORTATION:
This hunt will take place on our “Turkey-Rich” Private Land Leases near Newell, SD. Guests typically fly into Rapid City, SD the day before the hunt, rent a vehicle and arrive in camp by 3pm (about 1 hour drive). From camp, we’ll provide transportation to and from the field for the duration of your stay.
HUNT STYLE & TERRAIN:
This is typically a “set up and call” style shotgun hunt but may be conducted with archery equipment from a ground blind. Predominantly made up of prairie, rolling hills and creek bottoms our properties are easily navigable and “For the Birds” (in a good way). That said, this hunt can still be a physically challenging experience should you be required to “get after” a bird that just doesn’t want to cooperate. To that end, it’s in your best interest to be in as good of physical condition as possible in order to increase your chance for success and ensure an enjoyable hunt.
Typically 100% shooting opportunity on mature gobblers.
$1,950 PER PERSON for a 3-day hunt for 1 bird with up to 2 hunters per guide. Option for 2nd bird is available for additional charge of $500 provided 2nd tag is acquired.
- Price includes: Meals, lodging, guide services, field preparation of game and transportation to/from designated hunting areas.
- Price does not include: Transportation to camp, applicable hunting licenses/tags, game processing, taxidermy fees, alcoholic beverages, gratuities and hotel or meal costs before or after scheduled hunt dates.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: A wounded animal shall be considered harvested and any continuation of the hunt shall be at the discretion of the outfitter.
Our team works hard to ensure your experience is as good as it can be from start to finish. Tips are of course at your discretion, but a good rule of thumb is 10% of hunt cost for our guides and 5% or hunt cost for our cook.
2023 DATES (DATES TENTATIVE):
TURKEY HUNT: (SEASON RUNS: April 8 – May 31, 2023 )
- Apr. 28-30 (Arrival Apr. 27, Departure May 1)
- May 3-5 (Arrival May 2, Departure May 6)
- May 8-10 (Arrival May 7, Departure May 11)
- May 13-15 (Arrival May 12, Departure May 16)
- Arrival Date – Arrive at the lodge by 3pm. Unpack and settle in, enjoy a hearty dinner, socialize and prepare for the following day’s hunt.
- Hunting Days – Depart after a full breakfast in the morning. Enjoy your turkey hunt. Break for lunch in the afternoon. Back to the lodge in the evening for dinner and overnight.
- Departure Date – Breakfast and depart for home.
MEALS & ACCOMMODATIONS:
This hunt is conducted from a comfortable lodge with all the amenities of home. Home cooked meals will be served each evening with lunches in the field and breakfast before departing on each day’s hunt. All you’ll need to bring is your personal hunting gear and toiletries.
TYPICAL WEATHER CONDITIONS:
Springtime in South Dakota is generally cooler with a mix of sunny days and chance of light showers. April and May enjoying an average high of 56˚/66˚ and a low of 31˚/42˚. Overnight temperatures are still chilly, with the lows averaging 20˚. Preparing for various weather conditions is a must so we will provide a recommended gear list once you have booked your hunt.
Non-Resident Turkey License/Tags are available on a draw basis for approximately $125 (see application deadlines and details below). WE WILL BE HAPPY TO ASSIST YOU IN ACQUIRING A LICENSE/TAG.
- FIRST DEADLINE – Applications must be submitted online by 8 a.m. CST Wed, Feb 15. Results available online by Wed, Feb 22. One application may be submitted per applicant.
- SECOND DEADLINE – Applications must be submitted online by 8 a.m. CST Wed., Mar. 8. Results available online by Mon., Mar. 13. Those who do not already have a license may submit one application.
- THIRD DEADLINE – After the second deadline drawing, licenses remaining are pooled and available to both residents and nonresidents. Applications must be submitted online by 8 a.m. CST Thurs., Mar. 23. Results available online by Mon., Mar. 27. Residents and nonresidents may apply for additional licenses (five maximum for this season, including any license received in the first or second draw).
- LEFTOVER LICENSES – An individual may have an unlimited number of licenses for this season in any unit or any combination of units. They will be issued first-come, first-served by online application only. This process will begin on Mon., Mar. 27 at 8am CST.
IMPORTANT NOTE: HUNTERS SAFETY CARD IS REQUIRED FOR ALL HUNTERS UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE.
Should you successfully harvest a bird, your guide will be responsible for field dressing, skinning and transporting your prize out of the backcountry and back to camp. Taxidermy and processing fees are the client’s responsibility.
All you’ll need to bring is your personal hunting gear and toiletries. We will provide a recommended gear list once you have booked your hunt.
Fishing may be available in nearby rivers, lakes and ponds.
A 50% non-refundable deposit must be paid to reserve your space. Final payments are due 60 days prior to hunt start date.
Information contained in this trip description is subject to change without notice. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.